Lebanese style squash

squishsquash(07)July 7, 2014

I have the craziest get-up in my yard. I have major svb problems, so this year, my bf built me a couple cages and we have our squash completely covered with row covers. I also have earth boxes with the same contraptions. This, of course, means I have to go out every morning and pollinate. I have harvested quite a few yellow and golden egg varieties, but not once have I caught a female lebanese flower open to even pollinate yet! The plants are beautiful, happy, and have plenty of males and females. Oddly, today two look pollinated, but I have no idea how that could be. I didn't catch any little friends sneaking in. I am sure they are just nice ones that will eventually shrivel. Is it possible these do not open until late morning to midday? I've been out between 5:30 and 7:30 in the past few weeks.
I am only home until 6:30 am this week, and at that hour don't even look partially opened. I feel like I am missing the boat! I am dying to taste these! This is a first for me. I am almost tempted to take the covers off, but then today noticed frass on one of my uncovered backups-so I think it's too early.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squishsquash(07)

I actually found two this morning-I went out twice and in that hour I lucked out.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 6:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Lebanese/meditteranean type zucchinis are my favorite. Never had any problems with them setting, but some varieties are more prolific than others. Like everything else variety is important.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
Indoor Pumpkin Plant
Here is my pumpkin plant fully grown indoors with its...
gregplantaine7
Courge-Fri
Courge-fritter in palm butter are far more healthy...
acorneti
Need some answers to Butternut Squash Questions
Hey! So this is my first time growing B. squash, and...
jac15
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
Sponsored Products
New Oriental Super Heriz Serapi Rug 9' X 12' Rust & Navy Hand Knotted Wool H3344
BH Sun Inc
Lyndhurst Ivory Runner: 2 Ft. x 12 Ft. Rug
$119.95 | Bellacor
Nourison Area Rug: Modesto Vines Rust 5' 3" Round
$63.97 | Home Depot
Amazonia Coventry Teak Stacking Dining Chairs - Set of 2 - SC NINIA_SET
$619.99 | Hayneedle
Lite Source Zachary Silver and Chrome Gooseneck Desk Lamp
$54.00 | Lamps Plus
Ramsey Brown Bench - MEDIUM BROWN
$555.00 | Horchow
Grey & Red Diamond Rug