Looking for lakefront groundcover

pauleycSeptember 25, 2006

I have about 200ft of waterfront that has a lot of trees and would like to spend less time mowing between the trees and more time enjoying the lake. The property is a northern exposure and the trees provide mostly shade all day. Its also a very mild hill down to the water.

Question: what would be a good groundcover to take over the area and not climb trees? My initial thought is PACHYSANDRA. I would like a dark leaf, low growing, fast spread.

Also, the soil under the trees has a fair amount of twigs/leaf material. Do I need to clean that up before planting? Should I bring in topsoil? How do I keep the unwanted plants down while the groundcover is taking over? I'm assuming the groundcover will 'snuff out' all the other plants eventually?

Also, is it too late to plant this year?

Thanks in advance,

Chad

Lake Anna, VA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Are your trees evergreens or deciduous? (Will there be a big dump of old leaves or just a steady trickle of bits falling?)

Vancouveria, Veratrum, and Viola - all North American natives - might give the cover you're looking for. I've not noticed Vancouveria tree-climbing - and it smothers out most things except Tradescantia fluminensis (but there's not much that smothers that - except ivy...).

Bookmark   September 28, 2006 at 2:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pauleyc

All the trees are deciduous, so there will be a considerable amount of leaves

Bookmark   September 28, 2006 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
Sedum taking over!!!
For some reason I couldn't upload a picture of the...
seattlegardener
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
liriope big blue question...
I am confused about liriope. I have a huge steep hill...
bgaviator
Replacing groundcover
What (preferably flowering) groundcover would stay...
gcotterl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™