Companion plants for Panicum Dallas Blues

sage_lover(z6 OH)June 23, 2005

I have 5 Dallas Blues & will likely add 3 more to make a better massing. The soil is ok top 4" but construction compacted below. Needs to be a fairly tough plant!

Spirea "Goldflame" is my choice at the moment, but would very much appreciate any ideas anyone could offer. Due to exsisting trees, deep tilling is not an option.

Have no experience with Dallas Blues so not sure what to expect. Planted them about 4 weeks ago and am LIKING what I am seeing!!! It seems to be a grass worth checking out if you have not done so. I have been told that it does not self seed like other Panicums do also.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AgastacheMan(z7 CA)

Dallas Blues is one of my favorite Panicums. I haven't had it reseed at all since I have been growing it for the last two years. I have placed it with other grasses, like Muhlenbergia capillaris Regal Mist, Muhlenbergia japonica variegata, Eragrostis spectabilis and so on.

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 4:18PM
rhoda_azalea(5b/6a)

A neighbor planted three 'Dallas Blues' with blackberry lily in full sun. At the end of the season, the seed heads on the blackberry lily looked stunning next to the 'Dallas Blues.' One of the best fall combinations I've ever seen.

Rhoda

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 9:24AM
sage_lover(z6 OH)

I am not familiar with blackberry lily, but will look into it. Is there another name for this lily? Do not tease me with words like, "stunning", and, "one of the best fall combinations I've seen!" I must know more!!! What would you say made it a great fall combo?

Thank you, & Agastache above for responding to my question, btw!

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 10:59PM
RickandChrystal

Dallas Blues looks great beside sedum 'Autumn Joy'. Another combination has it beside nine bark 'Diablo'

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 10:13PM
prairiegirlz5

Blackberry lily=Belamcanda chinensis. This lily has bluish-green iris-like foliage, with orange or yellow flowers speckled with red in fall. The flowers twist into a spiral before dropping, followed by seedpods that burst to show off shiny black seeds. It looks great with many ornamental grasses. Another interesting fall bloomer to add to the mix is Anemone sylvestris. Add a variety of short asters, sedums, agastaches, sage, stir well and enjoy! :p

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
Sponsored Products
Radiant Orchid Roma Chair
$64.99 | zulily
Nearly Natural 5-foot Smilax Tree
Overstock.com
Emberglow Botanical Arrangement
$699.00 | FRONTGATE
Juuyo Peach Flowers Pendant
Lightology
&'Costa | Bambu 2 Table Lamp
$799.20 | YLighting