Between Stepping Stones

HeywoodJablomieSeptember 29, 2012

I have flagstone pavers for a pathway. There is about a half inch to an inch between pavers and it is planted with grass. The problem I have is that the grass slowly creates a mat that overgrows the pavers and if I don't do any maintenance the grass will total cover the pavers. So, I get down on my hands and knees and cut out the grass and replant.

Is there anything I can plant (Mazus Reptans?) that won't form these mats and require less maintenance?

Also some of these pavers are in sun and some are in shade. More are in shade though.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mistascott(7A VA)

Mazus is definitely a poor choice as it grows quickly over pavers. You might look at something like Lysimachia japonica 'Minutissima' which is far less aggressive.

Another go-to for semi-shade is Blue Star Creeper (Isotoma fluvatilis. It is evergreen and a moderate grower with tiny star-shaped flowers. You also may wish to consider Leptinella squalida 'Platt's Black' (Brass Buttons) for an interesting foliage effect. It will probably be deciduous in your zone though (at least it was last winter in 7A, though I hear it is at least semi-evergreen in Zone 8 and reliably evergreen in Zone 9). Finally, you could always use slow-growing, evergreen, and shade loving Mondo grass or dwarf Mondo grass. Check out the Stepables website (www.stepables.com) and use the "Find The Right Plant for the Right Spot" search function to see some more options. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
Spreading succulent groundcover advice?
We recently bought a house and are finally tackling...
sweetverve
Groundcover planning for spring
I'm considering planting some groundcover in a bed...
ayimera
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
Replacing groundcover
What (preferably flowering) groundcover would stay...
gcotterl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™