I want to grow Creeping Charlie or other green groundcover

beckye_gardenerSeptember 13, 2010

I know folks will think I'm nuts however I want to plant creeping charlie. I like that it doesn't take any maintenance, is low growing and always green.

We are getting rid of our trampoline and now have a 13' circle of dirt in the middle of our shady back yard. I'd like to plant creeping charlie or other low growing green perennial that could form the basis of seating area. The problem is I don't know where to find creeping charlie seeds or plugs - any ideas?

I am open to other ideas it needs to be low and walkable, love shade and easy to maintain. I don't need to worry about spreading beyond this area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

You might want to look at ground covers on the Stepables website. They have a search engine for various conditions. Sagina might be one that would work for you but I have never grown it. I have Creeping Charlie, variegated, in a basket, it has long trailing stems that might be a problem for tripping, at least when it's in a basket. Lots of people complain about it and want to get rid of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stepables

Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 5:38PM
More Discussions
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
Where to buy Pachysandra?
Hi All, I need some Pachysandra, does anyone know if...
walksindarkness
Miniature clover, anyone try it?
I just heard about it. They claim you can even replace...
Emerogork2
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™