Vinca Help please

rain2fall(8/Oregon)September 6, 2009

After having read the warnings about the way Vinca minor spreads, I have decided it is the ideal groundcover for a 200-foot curbside strip. I've found a source for rooted cuttings -- I imagine they're small. Can I succeed NOW (September) with the following method:

1. Roundup to kill the grass.

2. Leave the dead mat of grass & roots.

3. Plant the Vinca starts through the grass -- loosen the soil a little with a dandelion digger, and pot the rooted cutting in.

4. Water.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rachel77(7 TX)

I've planted vinca over dead grass before, and it turned into a big 'ol mess. I actually spent today digging out all the grass that somehow lived/grew, etc., in between my vinca. I'm so sore I can barely move. 200' is a loooot of digging...Hope somebody else has a better solution. You could always try, though, and cross your fingers!

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 10:38PM
rain2fall(8/Oregon)

So the Vinca grew -- it was the dead grass that wouldn't die that was a problem. How long did you wait before you went back to knock out the grass?

I'd like to plan now, and deal with any remaining live grass next spring. I don't have time to rip out the grass this fall, and most of it is dead. I'm concerned about whether Rooted Cuttings of Vinca would survive through the dead grass in Zone 6, if I do it now.

Bookmark   September 7, 2009 at 1:06AM
rachel77(7 TX)

I planted in April (roundabouts) and pulled it up just last weekend. I don't see the harm in waiting and seeing...you never know, yours might work out just right.

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Alternatives To Decorative Bark Or Rock Ground Cover
Hey Have a small area I need to fill in & would...
dethcheez
Dymondia Dying
Hello, A little over a week ago I purchased a bunch...
naveenreddy_la
Where to buy Pachysandra?
Hi All, I need some Pachysandra, does anyone know if...
walksindarkness
liriope big blue question...
I am confused about liriope. I have a huge steep hill...
bgaviator
Groundcover planning for spring
I'm considering planting some groundcover in a bed...
ayimera
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™