Need fast and inexpensive suggestions

jcasanova7(6 NJ)September 29, 2012

Hi! We moved into our fixer-upper 3 years ago and have done a lot on the inside and it's time we do something for some curb appeal on the house. We don't have a lot of money to put into the yard yet but we can't stand looking at the house and I am sure the neighbors can't stand it either.

We Have a steep slope in the front yard and my husband clears all the growth every summer- I think it's just tall crazy weeds. What can we do???

I wanted to include picture, but I can't because the upload button is grayed out...

Thanks for any help.

:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mistascott(7A VA)

Is it full sun? If so, you have many options. I happen to like moss phlox for full sun slopes. Also, you might like Geranium sanguineum.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 1:31AM
mistascott(7A VA)

Actually, now that I think about it -- for a slope, you would probably not want something herbaceous (non-evergreen) like Geranium. Instead, something like Bearberry or a creeping juniper might be better.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 9:46AM
jcasanova7(6 NJ)

Thank you so much for answering. I feel like a non-evergreen would be prettier... is there a reason I would want an evergreen ground cover? Also, do they spread fast? Here is the picture of our yard. And again, thank you so much for your advice - I really appreciate it.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 2:57PM
mistascott(7A VA)

An evergreen would look nicer in winter (bare ground/dead stems and leaves vs. something green). It would also probably be a little better at holding the slope together and preventing erosion. Liriope or daylilies would also work there. Cotoneasters are nice. Check out the link below for more options.

Moss phlox is nice because it has attractive needle-like leaves that are evergreen and also flowers like crazy in Spring.

Another consideration is how well you can control an aggressive spreader if you decide to use one. If you have boundaries to keep spreading in check (looks like you do somewhat), you can really save money by getting something that is somewhat aggressive and will fill in quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Groundcovers

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 12:11AM
More Discussions
Spreading succulent groundcover advice?
We recently bought a house and are finally tackling...
sweetverve
Ajuga Reptans Mahogany
I planted a couple of flats of this last summer. I...
misterleadfoot_z9
veronica repens 'sunshine'
I am confused on this one. Hopefully someone that is...
kennym_2010
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
Vinca help
Does Vinca need to be fed? If so, what & when....
rickardo
Sponsored Products
Carambola Pendant by LZF
$1,640.00 | Lumens
Classic Energy Saver 13-Inch Frosted Flush Mount with White Frosted Glass
$56.00 | Bellacor
Salsbury Industries Lockers 19000 Series 24 in. W x 42 in. H x 8.75 in. D 21 A
Home Depot
Inval Espresso Wall Mounted Hutch
Overstock.com
Hudson Valley Malibu 12 1/2" High Aged Brass Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus