looking for perennial geranium

rosiew(8 GA)August 5, 2013

Hope someone can recommend a place I could get Geranium macrorrhizum. I've finally been able to get a load of really good compost to the far back of my property and hope to get shade loving groundcover started.

Like the height of the geranium, also open to other suggestions. Have had a heck of a time getting anything to flourish here. Have lots of tree roots in competition plus a good amount of granite outcropping, some of it under the soil several inches.

Have discovered a bunch of ferns in a friend's detention pond. Wondering if these could be transplanted to an area with a lot less moisture.

Nice challenge, huh? Thankful for your advice.

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frankielynnsie(7B)

I have wild geranium maculatum in my garden. Several small volunteers if you are interested. Spreads, pink blooms in spring, nice foliage.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 8:03PM
rosiew(8 GA)

frankielynn, thanks for your nice offer. I may take you up on it. I'd really like to find a way to get a large number of small rooted cuttings that I could pot up. Was thinking of having all the same variety - don't know why, changing my mind as I type.

Where are you? I'm way OTP North in Sugar Hill, a bit south of Lake Lanier.

Rosie

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 6:41AM
pam_3(GA 7b)

I have a few perennial geranium that are big enough to divide. Can't promise they're G. macrorrhizum, tho! I'm in South Gwinnett.

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 5:42PM
frankielynnsie(7B)

I am above Gainesville but come down that way to go to Hobby Lobby and the thrift store so could dig them up and meet you sometime if you are interested. I love their leaves, they look like little stars and pink flowers are great too. I will get a picture tomorrow.

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 8:30PM
rosiew(8 GA)

Pam, thanks much for the offer. I'm wondering if I should wait until fall to do this. And hoping I'll remember then - ha!

frankielynn, great offer! You say thrift store, singular. I'm an avid thrift store shopper. Have you been to the new one at N. Gwinnett Food Co-op? Could you send me an email please.

Rosie

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 5:39AM
More Discussions
Is anyone using rock dust in the garden?
I learned about rock dust a few days ago and I want...
kngskid
Where should I plant a fatsia japonica?
Other than, in a milder climate. I've had it in a pot...
esga
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™