Thyme from Seed

murphy_zone7October 6, 2006

Hello...new to forum. I want to establish a groundcover lawn instead of grass lawn at my new home. I have found an online company that sells a creeping thyme groundcover seed. I wonder if anyone has tried to establish such a groundcover type lawn from seed and what were the results.

Thank you for any information.

Murphy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
danmoser(z5 NE)

I've never tried to seed it outside, but I have started thyme seed inside before transplanting. It's worked great for me. Germinates in a few days and grows fast.

Bookmark   October 6, 2006 at 3:25PM
HerbLady49(Z6 PA)

"Mother of Thyme" Thymus serphyllum is low and easy to grow from seed. I start my thyme 1st week of February. Grow in small pots or plug tray. Use a soiless medium and barely cover the seeds with builders sand or fine vermiculite. Water from bottom and do not over water. When you sow put in about 10-15 seeds per plug/pot so you have a nice bushy plant. They will germinate in about 8-10 days in a temperature of 65-70 degrees. It can be grown outside but make sure you sow your seed on a thick layer(2-3")of a soiles medium(Pro-Mix)or any other brand you garden center might have. You need this so your seeds are not competing with the germination of weed seeds. If this is still a problem you can wait till you temperature warms up and sow your seeds in large rectangular plastic storage containers. Punch holes in bottom for drainage. Fill container(3-4")with soiless medium and generously sow seeds. Place in a partially shaded area and mist when needed. When container is full of nice size seedlings remove small clumbs to the area you want to cover.

Bookmark   November 25, 2006 at 11:11AM
HerbLady49(Z6 PA)

It might be hard to see but this is my thyme garden. There are many differend varieties of thyme. Each mound was 3 small plugs/pots and this garden is only 1 year old. Thyme spreads very fast. The hot pink flower is silene mexicana which is an annual but reseeds for me every year.

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
liriope big blue question...
I am confused about liriope. I have a huge steep hill...
bgaviator
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
Replacing groundcover
What (preferably flowering) groundcover would stay...
gcotterl
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™