GC to replace English Ivy & allow for other plants

sandyinva(7A)October 21, 2006

I spent several backbreaking months of clearing English Ivy from a small woodland area of my yard with several small trees, azaleas, a rhody, hydrangeas, ferns, hostas, a few hellebores.

I need to replace the ivy with something that won't choke out the others, and can be easliy contained from spreading into the lawn. The area is partly sunny to full shade. It also needs to be sturdy, as I have dog that runs through it, chasing anything that moves.

I really do not know much about ground covers so I am open to all suggestions. I have seen wild ginger at one of the local nurseries, but do not know if it would be suitable or not.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Congratulations on your ivy eradication - that's quite an accomplishment and a very good thing to do!!

In zone 7, there are a lot of groundcovers that will fit the bill. I prefer evergreen ones so that they do their job and contribute a presence year round. Many groundcovers are rather aggressive spreaders, but that is their purpose and I've yet to encounter too many that are not rather easily managed, unlike the ivy. My personal preference is to avoid Gallium (sweet woodruff), as it grows through the roots of other plants and is difficult to manage and in my area at least, is plagued by a fungal leaf blight each season. I also avoid Aegopodium (Bishop's weed) as it is both herbaceous - disappears in winter - and is a rampant spreader.

The attached list may help. The asarum or wild ginger is an excellent choice for a more shady area but I'm not sure how well it would stand up to dog traffic. I'd consider ajuga - will transition well from sun to shade, is very durable, evergreen, offers a nice spring flower, is a good weed supression and doesn't easily get out of control.

Here is a link that might be useful: groundcovers

Bookmark   October 22, 2006 at 9:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandyinva(7A)

Thanks, gardengal, I read your link and looked up some more info and pictures. It looks really pretty and I like the idea that it will not disappear during the winter. Is there anything about specific varities I should know?

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Alternatives To Decorative Bark Or Rock Ground Cover
Hey Have a small area I need to fill in & would...
dethcheez
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Replacing groundcover
What (preferably flowering) groundcover would stay...
gcotterl
Where to buy Pachysandra?
Hi All, I need some Pachysandra, does anyone know if...
walksindarkness
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™