Can this pumpkin be saved?

seegengrow(5)July 8, 2010

Alright, folks--so I KNOW this is a long shot.

But I planted some pumpkin plants in the ground, one of which was doing especially well, and then was notified that my landlady's selling the place and I have to move. Naturally, the pumpkins were my first concern so I ran outside to have a look, and LO and BEHOLD, one vine in particular has already set fruit (beautiful fruit that's growing quickly, too!).

This plant looks happy and healthy and I know that everyone says pumpkins don't transplant well. But I've been asked to dig up the plants, nevertheless. So my question is: even though the chances for success might be slim, is there any way to transplant this plant to a new patch of earth? What precautions could I take to reduce the shock?

If I don't try, I'll still be losing this plant anyway, so I may as well give it a shot, right?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Gen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockguy(7a)

You can't dig the whole plant up and move it but you might find that somewhere along the vine little roots have been put out. Make a cutting that includes these little roots and a few leaves and it might live.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 6:08AM
macmex

Well, it is a long shot. I don't know that you would have time to make a cutting, as rockguy suggests, simply because it would require, probably six weeks to re-establish a sufficient root system to support fruit. Then it would have to set... and mature that fruit.

It is really "iffy" moving a big vine like that.
1) Try not to move it far. Time in transition will reduce you odds of success.
2) Get as much soil around those roots as you can. You'll probably need some help and want to try to use something to ball up the roots. The roots are not really of a tight and sturdy design. So it would be very easy to leave most of them behind.
3) Have your new site prepared ahead of time, good soil, hole already dug, etc.
4)When you plant it in the new site, plant a fair amount of the vine under the soil. As alluded to by rockguy, those parts will grow roots, assisting in the plant's survival.
5) Protect it from direct light for a day or two after transplant.
6) If you can, keep a drip going on the roots, at least for a week.

These are some ideas. Good luck.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 7:43AM
seegengrow(5)

Thanks, rockguy and macmex. The cutting is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if it would work in my zone. The Chicago growing season is pretty short, and I can't see the first freeze holding off long enough for the fruit to mature.

Macmex, I'll try all of your suggestions. The part that worries me most is getting enough of the roots to not set the plant back too badly. I'll report back and let you all know how it goes!

Thanks again,
seegengrow

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
Sponsored Products
Lithonia Lighting 1-Light 5.5 in. Oil Rubbed Bronze Integrated LED Track Lightin
$54.97 | Home Depot
Epicureanist 18-bottle Metal Wine Rack
Overstock.com
Rockport Slipper Chair
Grandin Road
Princeton Red Four-Light Chandelier with Bordeaux/Red Royal Cut Crystals
$260.00 | Bellacor
Transportation Potty Chair
Classic Hostess
Kichler Gretchen 34" x 46" Rectangular Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
48" Shower With Right Sliding Door - Polished Aluminum