Curly Miscanthus 'Gracillimus'?

lettsbets(Z5a)June 12, 2005

I recently purchased a 2 gallon pot of Miscanthus 'Gracillimus.' Because we were having some work done on the house, I didn't want to plant it until the work was done. I temporarily put it under a crabapple tree and kept it watered. It appears to be healthy, but the grass blades are becoming curly at the top. Not a tight curl, but a curl nevertheless. Is this something that happens sometimes? Will it return to the fountain appearance that I wanted when it is planted in the sun? Is it mislabeled, and if so, does anyone have any idea what it might be? This is my first grass purchase, and I am pretty confused right now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PollyNY(z5NY)

A lot of the miscanthus curl at times. Morning Light does that quite often, as does Gracillimus. They usually do it more towards the fall here. It may keep the curl this year, but will still have the fountain shape you want. I doubt it is mislabeled, and there is nothing wrong with it. If you wanted a nice fountain shaped grass, you picked a good one, Gracillimus looks like a waterfall by about mid June in Zone 5. You'll like it, don't worry. Polly

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 10:01AM
lettsbets(Z5a)

Polly, thank you so much for responding to my question. Your experience reassures me, and I am very relieved about my curly grass now! I suppose it's possible that being still in a pot, the grass may "think" that fall is coming. At any rate, I won't worry anymore. A couple of years ago I saw a beautiful specimen of this grass at a resort where we stayed. I've wanted one ever since. Thanks again. Betsy

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 12:24AM
locust8(7)

Very happy I found this entry about the curling grass. I also purchased a miscanthus, though mine is "Sarabande". I brought it home and have been unable to plant it--it's spent two weeks in its pot--and now the blades are all curled. I live in NY and thought that it might be the hot weather we're having or that it wasn't getting enough water, but I've been watering regularly. At anyrate, I've been very worried as I really, really loved the shape before. The curly texture is nice, but I was worried that it was dying. I intend to repot it tonight in a much larger pot. Any tips on its care throughout the year? Thank you, Sara

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 5:32PM
PollyNY(z5NY)

Sara----Sarabande---- wonder why you picked that one? Sarabande, and Gracillimus are both very fine leaved, and they seem to be the ones that curl more. The dry conditions, I'm sure, contribute, but it seems some years they just curl. A bigger pot will be better, as it holds water better. Can you plant it in the ground, or will it have to stay in a pot? Miscanthus is hard to kill, don't worry about it, and it should regain the shape you love next year. By the way, check to see if when you water it, if it really is getting a good soaking, or if the water is just running off. I might suggest immersing the plant into about six inches of water for a couple of hours to completely wet the rootball. It will also help if you tease the roots apart a little when you plant it. But they are easy to grow, and will be fine. Enjoy your Sarabande, Sara. Polly

Bookmark   July 4, 2005 at 5:39PM
gillespiegardens(Z6 cinti ohio)

i would advise trimming the curls off to improve the appearance of the grass and also to be able to monitor the curling to see if it has abated and is snapping out of the dryness. if you see new curls appearing then i would make some more adjustments in the watering.

Sue
"The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

Bookmark   July 17, 2005 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
The reddest Panicum virgatum
I would like to add one of those Panicum virgatums...
wannabegardnr
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Aries Table in Gold
Grandin Road
Deer Park Ironworks Bench Cushion - BE121CUR
$69.99 | Hayneedle
LZF | Agatha Ball Pendant Light
YLighting
Christmas Bouquet Fresh Christmas Door Swag
$99.50 | FRONTGATE