Ground cover for 4500 sqft bank

cc1820(9)October 3, 2012

My home sits above the road. My bank runs like the letter L. It's 150 feet long and from the top of the bank to the road below is 30 feet. We are busy getting the ivy out with removal items and we want to start planning for some cover. Its a full sun bank so it has to be very tolerant of the sun. My wife talked about no mow grass however not sure about that stuff. I would welcome any ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cc1820(9)

I just added my zone to this.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 3:02PM
gardengal48

No-mow grass is not very attractive - kinda weedy and unkempt. And it still requires regular irrigation to look even half way decent, which may be an issue in many parts of CA.

Attached is a link of suggested groundcovers for your area, including a number of native species as well. Just pick for your specific sun conditions and an appearance you prefer. Personally, I'd put a big emphasis on fully evergreen and drought tolerant - the manzanita, ceanothus, junipers and rubus all fit that description. All are very appropriate for slopes also.

Here is a link that might be useful: groundcover suggestions (pdf)

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 2:32PM
Blossom_Designer(5)

I like gardengal's evergreen idea. Pinus sylvestris 'Hillside Creeper' (sounds like a murderer, but it's a plant) will survive up to Zone 8 and cover a lot of space. It gets 1-2 feet high and 6-8 feet wide. It is, however, rather pricey, so it may be out of your budget.

Groundcover roses are also drought-tolerant once they're established. So if you wanted to sprinkle in some color, you could.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
Alternatives To Decorative Bark Or Rock Ground Cover
Hey Have a small area I need to fill in & would...
dethcheez
ajuga over Daffodil bulbs?
I am getting conflicting information about whether...
pink_petals
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
at a loss on good ground cover...
I would like a ground cover to fill in the rest of...
bgaviator
Groundcover planning for spring
I'm considering planting some groundcover in a bed...
ayimera
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™