MS Morning Light problems??

emj123July 11, 2007

I have 4 MS Morning Lights planted side-by-side that have been in the ground for three years, all of which, until now, have done very well. I noticed recently that one on the end is not quite as full as the others, though the heights are fairly equal. I just noticed that this same one has some dead blades, so far about 3 or 4 blades, around the perimeter ("dead" meaning that they are completely light brown/dry and look as they should in the winter). Other than these few blades and not being quite as full as the others, I see no other apparent problems, bugs, floppiness, etc.

They all receive the same sun exposure (full sun), but the end one is next to a space that sees standing water with heavy rains because of a section of gutter that needs to be bent back. When it rains heavily, however, the water doesnÂt hit or accumulate at the base of the grass; rather, it hits a section of mulch about 6 inches out from the base. But, this has only occurred once this year, in May, and we have had nearly drought conditions since. After a prolonged period of very dry conditions, I started watering deeply about once per week and the other 3 continue to do very well. Should I be concerned? I have never seen brown/dry blades this time of the year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

There are lots of possible causes. Pull the mulch away from it's base, and examine the crown closely, for signs of rodent activity. Sometimes mice and other rodents will dig nests in the crowns of OG's.

Cut off one of the affected blades, and dissect it. Watch for any signs of insects or rust in the culm itself, and the sheaths and nodes.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 1:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emj123

Ugh! Ok, when I can bring in reinforcements (in case I do see a rodent), I will do that. What will I be looking for, holes, tunnels, mounds, etc.? (I did find a dead rodent laying next to this same grass last Spring, but it could have been one of several cats bringing me a gift from elsewhere. I do get a lot of squirrels in my yard; I don't know if they are possible culprits).

BTW: When I posted the original post, the dried blades were of the same form as the healthy ones--cascading. Now they are curly. I did pull one healthy and one dead blade and sliced them open in several spots. I did not see any matter (bugs, rust) on either.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 7:14PM
More Discussions
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™