creeping phlox, when to trim back?

emmyt(z6a PA)November 2, 2008

When is the best time to trim back creeping phlox? I planted several in a small area (mistake) several years ago. It's beautiful, but I have never cut it back, so it's now thick and woody. This would be fine if it were in a larger area with room to spread more, as the surface leaves are green and will bloom in the spring. but I would like to cut it back to keep it more contained. I'm concerned about cutting off the live green parts and leaving only the woody stuff. And if/when I do cut it, when is the best time - is now okay (early Nov)?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HerbLady49(Z6 PA)

Creeping Phlox should be cut back after it flowers. If you prune too early you will cut off all the flower buds, or you may kill the plant. I consider creeping phlox a shrublet, so it should look woody. If you need to do some pruning, do so starting from it's perimeter. This time of year in your zone, Creeping Phlox will look woody. If it's still woody in the center during the flowering period, your phlox needs to be fertilized. I always fertilize with "Plant Tone" in early March to keep my plants healthy and lush.

Bookmark   February 10, 2009 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
liriope big blue question...
I am confused about liriope. I have a huge steep hill...
bgaviator
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
ICE PLANT???
Is anyone else ready for spring? Thanks for viewing....
halocline
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™