need to order/plant ground cover now... help !!!..

jellybeanoNovember 15, 2006

Hi,

Can anyone, please, suggest a fast growing, green ground cover that you can walk on, is good in clay soil and does well in sun and part shade?? I have 1/4 acre that is full of 'wild onions' which I am now digging all up [as it took me all year to get rid of them!! and I'm sick of em..] I need to plant something in their place right away, before the heavy rains come to Oakland,Ca... Can somebody please suggest a good ground cover??? thanks, judy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michele_1

You are way out of my zone, so I hesitate to say anything. Except I sympathize. Also, I've tried a number of ground covers in my area that according to the garden books, should have done beautifully and didn't!

My problem with growing ground covers is record drought two summers in a row and the trees overhanging the ground cover soaking up every bead of moisture! Amount of moisture is something to be mindful of!

That said, you should be able to grow just about anything in your area in sun / part-sun.

Wish I could be more help. Good luck!
Michele

Bookmark   November 17, 2006 at 9:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Have you been to your local garden center (or good retail nursery - not a box store)? West coast nurseries are open year round and a local one will carry a range of plants suitable for your specific location and most have staffing that will assist you in making informed choices based on your growing conditions.

Rupturewort, Herniaria glabra, is a tough, low growing evergreen groundcover that is adapatable to both sun and shade and is tolerant of heavy soils. It doesn't do much - few flowers - but it takes foot traffic well.

I don't mean this as a slam at you Judy, but I always wonder why folks don't access local resources first before posting on what is essentially a forum with worldwide readership.

Bookmark   November 18, 2006 at 6:19AM
More Discussions
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
Is my dymondia dying?
I have dymondia in a roughly 12' x 12' area with a...
sheckylovejoy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™