Pumpkin Emergency

taxtaxAugust 20, 2011

The best of my 3 pumpkins is going to die soon. The vine has already died and dried up.

Is there any way to save my half-grown pumpkin? Perhaps cut the vine just at the stem and insert it in water somehow... or other?

After something like 30 seeds, only 3 pumpkins ever made it this year, and they have been under repeated attack by pests & viruses/bacteria so I'd be willing to try almost anything to at least save what I can.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

Hey taxtax, I feel your pain. Most of my garden flopped this year due to heat, drought and hoards of pests. I'm afraid there's nothing you can do to mature immature fruit from a dead or dying vine. You might be able to eat it like a summer squash. Did a borer get the vine? (You would find a hole in the vine, near the base.
Chances are that you didn't do anything wrong. It's simply been an extremely hard summer.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 7:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taxtax

We had a reccord breaking heat-wave this year, and this seems to have really taxed the vegetation hard, not to mention it was very humid here, which opened up every disease imaginable.

I'm not sure why the vine just died where it did. It is POSSIBLE I did it by stepping on it because I was doing an awful lot of walking around and through the vines trying to spray like mad every few days fighting off all kinds of diseases left and right, there was just no end to disease this year.

From now on I guess I"ll only garden while going bare-foot.

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 12:12AM
More Discussions
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
Blue Gyroscope
Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Gyroscope' is a cross with mother...
acorneti
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
New Blue Banana
Guatemala and other blue banana squash fruits are known...
acorneti
Squash varities
Hi! I've never cared much for squash, mostly due to...
HollowOakFarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™