Mature pumpkin vine leaves being eaten?

PhotomandanAugust 10, 2014

I've done all kinds of research and have checked for fungus, aphids, snails, slugs, etc., including checking the leaves at night....but the leaves keep getting profuse "track" marks, turn brown and die. Much fruit has started, getting to about the size of a walnut, but withers. Could the tiny little worm in the photo be the culprit? (for scale, it's on a clothes pin). I've only seen a few of them.... I hope the photos help. Thanks! ~Dan PS: I guess only one image is allowed.... the worm looks like an inchworm....skinny, green, less than an inch long.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldgardenguy_zone6

I would guess powdery mildew

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 7:30AM
StephanieHS(8)

Could be mildew. Can you post a photo of whole plant? Does the browning and dying of leaves start at the base of the plant and spread from there?

The white marks to me look like leaf borer marks. There are a few different bugs that leaf bore. For the most part, not terribly serious. The leaves turning brown and dying is more concerning. I'm wondering if you have 2 dif things going on.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 5:19PM
macmex

That's a really bad case of leaf miners. Here's a link on them. The problem is that they are actually inside the leaf, so most sprays won't work.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Aggie info on Leaf Miners

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 7:33AM
More Discussions
Squash varities
Hi! I've never cared much for squash, mostly due to...
HollowOakFarm
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™