dichondra question?

northgaNovember 7, 2013

I am pulling dichondra from my bermuda lawn and replanting it in an area the size of a basketball court. I always mulch this area every other year since I moved here 9 years ago, So the area has good amended soil.I am pulling back the top mulch and losing the ground and laying these dichondra sprouts I pulled from my bermuda lawn(See picture) right on top of soil.Then I take this mulch I pulled back and barely covering the top of the dichondra planlets.This mulch has been down since april so Its composed alot already.

My goal is to have this area covered in dichondra so I never have to mulch again..Has anybody tried this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northga

heres another upclose picture of the dichondra planlets.

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 6:24PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

From what I've seen, dichondra is ephemeral, a lot of the time, it's 'not there.' Can it hold the ground while dormant? IDK. Maybe there are different types?

I've been packing Oxalis crassipes and Liriope around the base of trees for this reason. Don't want to have to mow so closely around, or keep mulching to keep the grass away. Both are thick enough to stop grass if loosely monitored (after making sure there are no more grass roots in the "flower zone" when getting started.). Won't hurt if accidentally mowed, and daggone pretty at times.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 10:36AM
northga

well after 2 weeks the dichondra seem to be doing fine in its newly planted area.Its been time consuming laying these dichondra roots down , so I hope it pays off.I can seeing it looking really nice if they survive.(fingers crossed )

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 10:44PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I wish you luck! It's an adorable plant, in my eye, and softer than Bermuda grass. I didn't see Dichondra over the summer, but starting to notice tiny sprouts pulling weeds, relocating bulbs yesterday.

Bookmark   November 23, 2013 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
liriope big blue question...
I am confused about liriope. I have a huge steep hill...
bgaviator
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Cover
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
Clover in place of grass
(Cross posted from drought) Can anyone tell me if these...
rosemint
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™