variegated hakone grass

sandy0225(z5 Indiana)July 12, 2005

A man from texas sent me some "variegated hakone grass", last fall. It was too late here to reasonably put it outdoors, so I stuck it in the greenhouse and divided, divided it all winter. This spring I put it outside and it's gorgeous. It's more like a ribbon grass color, with white and just a hint of pink and green striped leaves. So far, it's grown to about knee high. Do you guys think this would survive in zone 5, or is this something I should dig up for winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Some of the green and white variegated varieties are hardy to zone 4. If I had a greenhouse, I'd leave some out, mulched, and put some in the greenhouse for protection.

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 12:33PM
ellenh

Mine survives in Zone 6. I love the stuff too!

Ellen

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 7:30PM
kms4me

I've found it tough as nails for me here in zone 3/4 with no protection.

I have two forms of variegated Hakone grass, and neither have white as a predominant color. It is usually a VERY slow grower and I'm surprised that you had to do so much dividing.

Kate

Bookmark   July 16, 2005 at 3:46AM
john_4b(z4b WI)

If it's Hakone grass, it should not be a problem to overwinter it in zone 5. I question that it is already knee high, as mine never gets knee high, and it is a very slow grower. Takes years before the clump is ready to divide.

It isn't ribbon grass, Phalaris arundinacea, is it? That grass seems to be taller, a more rapid grower, and a spreader. It is also hardy in zone 5.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ribbon Grass info

Bookmark   August 10, 2005 at 11:52AM
pezhead

I think John is on to something with his suggestion that you are dealing with Phalaris and not Hakone. If it's Phalaris or "Ribbon Grass," do the best thing possible and plant it with an underground barrier all around it somewhere where you can see early or late light through its foliage. I just sheared my ribbon grass to the ground about 2 weeks ago and there is already 10 inches of fresh new foliage standing. What fun as long as you keep the stuff from spreading throughout the garden! I love that it can (and really should) be shorn mid-summer for a fresh push of fine foliage.

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 1:17AM
More Discussions
What grass is this??
Hi all, does anybody recognize this grass (the big...
linda21h
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
Starting Miscanthus grass from seed
Wanting to know if it's possible for us to sow some...
candicenovitzke
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Sabertooth Tan Herringbone 10' x 14'
Home Depot
Chateau Outdoor One-Light Small Outdoor Wall Mount in Variegated Rich Umber Pati
$787.50 | Bellacor
Accent Lamp: 36.5 in. Italian Bronze Lamp CVARP836
$94.90 | Home Depot
Sun Joe 9.5 in. Electric Grass Trimmer - TRJ609E
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Dragonfly Cooler Glasses
Classic Hostess
Sea Grass Corsica Utility Basket
$39.99 | zulily
Lemon Grass Green One-Light Porcelain Table Lamp
$149.95 | Bellacor
Pre-lit Virginia Pine Artificial Christmas Tree. with Traditional Stand