Colocasia gigantea

georgiagirl(9GA)August 31, 2009

This spring I planted a Colocasia gigantea Thailand Giant Strain in the perfect spot, and it has by far surpassed my wildest expectations. It is now a beautiful 10 foot tall by at least six foot wide speciman with leaves about 30 inches wide. It has been blooming for over a month (white calla-like), At the moment it has about 7 blooms. My question is, should I remove the bulbous seeds or leave them alone. I want to leave the plant where it is next year, and in my climate can cover it with mulch and it will come back. Will leaving the seed bulbs to mature cause the plant to die or go into decline? Will the seeds germinate? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. I have emailed Plant Delights, where I got the plant from, but have received no reply. Have been unable to find information on what I should do.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeff_al

don't intend to knock you post down the list from folks with actual advice for you but you might contact the nursery at the link below. they have an extensive collection on their website and contact information is provided. from the tone of their text, they seem like they might be helpful.
their description of your plant indicates that it returns with more vigor each year in favorable zones.

Here is a link that might be useful: central florida farms

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
Georgia (Piedmont region) - new NABA chapter
To all butterfly enthusiasts in Georgia: The North...
memays
Pomegranate tree
Will a pomegranate tree grow amd produce fruit in GA?...
natalie4b
Houston triumph tulips
Hi. In georgia, what month do Houston Triumph Tulips...
tulipwedding
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™