Do your Seminole's need spraying??

dancinglemons(7B VA)August 21, 2009

Hello all,

First time Seminole squash/pumpkin grower. The literature mostly asserts that the Seminole is not bothered by bugs or disease. So far so good for my 3 plants. I understand that because the stems are solid the Squash Vine Borer can not kill the plants - again - so far so good. I probably should stop worring about these plants but my beautiful Red Kuri with 4 huge squash ripening has just been totally killed by something - I suspect SVB but can find no entry hole.

What does anyone think -- Seminole -- no worries about bugs/disease??

DL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
festus47(5)

DL,

This is also my first year growing Seminole and I have had no problems so far and very little bug pressure this year.
Seminole is of the species Moschata which is more resistant to SVB than the maxima species which I believe the Red Kuri belong to.

I have 40-50 squash plants this year and lost 3-4. All Maxima. I could not find SVB entrance either. All in all it has been a very good squash year for me. I have not planted the Red Kuri but have Potimarron this year and have 4 or 5 nice squash on now. I have lost one or two plants out of this hill though.

Bookmark   August 21, 2009 at 4:59AM
whgille(FL 9b)

Hi DL
I grew Seminole last year, in the beginning they were great. But later in the season, they can get pickleworms and mildew. They are a very strong growers, you need a lot of space. Flavor is very good and they keep well after harvest.

Here is the vine in the beginning of the season

Silvia

Bookmark   August 21, 2009 at 6:11PM
dancinglemons(7B VA)

Silvia (whgille),

Your plants look fantastic! I hope mine look as well this fall when the squash are ripening. Now that I know about the bugs and disease I will keep an eye on the plants - a very close eye!!

festus47,
Thanks for the info on 'moschata'. I am going to look for other varieties of moschata - so that my plants can defeat the SVB.

DL

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 12:36AM
More Discussions
Can't decide what to plant, help!
Ok, so we are a squash loving household. As in grew...
beesneeds
Squash varities
Hi! I've never cared much for squash, mostly due to...
HollowOakFarm
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™