Is this ribbon grass or liriope spicata?

crystalmt04(z8 SA, TX)July 30, 2010

I have two of these planted in my front flowerbed, and in researching what kind of grass this is, it seems that either way it's invasive and might take over the bed?

I don't want it to turn into a ground cover where all I see is this stuff. I like the random plants with mulch all around look. They were planted back in April and haven't grown very much at all, should I dig them up?

Also, if I replant them (thinking of a spot right up against the house-a west facing wall where I have trouble growing grass), will it creep into my lawn if I don't make some sort of barrier? Here's a pic of the spot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

It looks like some sort of Liriope, which isn't really a grass.

It will spread by rhizomes, but if you plant it in a bottomless pot, buried in the ground, you can keep it where you want it.

It likes moist fertile soil in full sun to part shade. In your zone, afternoon shade would be good.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 5:39PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Variegated Liriope is much slower to spread than solid. I would not be worried about it being invasive.

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 11:36AM
crystalmt04(z8 SA, TX)

Great! I really didn't want to have to dig them up because I like where they are. I was also thinking since it hasn't grown much since planting back in April, that maybe I wouldn't have to worry about it spreading.

Thanks for your help!

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 2:38PM
More Discussions
Starting Miscanthus grass from seed
Wanting to know if it's possible for us to sow some...
candicenovitzke
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™