pumpkins aborting after week of growth

huskies777August 15, 2014

I've had the same problem for two years now( 1 of my two vines last year had the problem and my first plant this year is running into same problem) where the baby pumpkin will take and grow for a few days (past the point where an unpollinated pumpkin would have died) and then wither and die once it has attained some size. Its not that the plant is selecting a different pumpkin to send energy to (I'd be ok with that); instead the plant has no pumpkins at all but seems to like killing them off after about a week. I've been giving them a good amount of fertilizer too (start with miracle grow then switch to TNT tomato booster which is a little nitrogren, mostly phosphorous, and some potassium once many flowers have appeared). Any ideas? thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
achang89(Z6)

What do the plants do after aborting the fruit? Still growing happily, flower and try to set fruits again?

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 9:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
huskies777

Thanks for the reply. The plant looks great and keeps setting fruit but the same thing happens. Are you familiar with the TNT tomato fertilizer I use? Maybe I should double the amount on the directions? Is it possible to apply too much phosphorous?

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™