Dwarf Pampas Grass

patz8soga(Z8SoGA)July 19, 2007

I ordered a 3" pot of Dwarf Pampas Grass from Wayside and planted it in the spring. It has grown slowly, but surely and is now about 18" high. I would like anyone in Zone 8b or, possibly, 9 to let me know what to expect from it in terms of size, growth, etc. Also, how far back should I cut it in the spring? Thanks for any help. (I live on the Georgia/Florida line; Zone 8b I think.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Given the proper conditions, Cortaderia selloana 'Pumila' should reach 4-6' tall with plumes extending another 2' or so above the foliage. Very profuse flowering. Like other forms of pampas grass, the clump will continue to expand in size as it ages and won't need dividing until it starts to die out in the center, typically sometime after 5-7 years. Pampas grass is fully evergreen in my climate and is not routinely cut back each spring and since it is wickedly sharp, that's a good thing!! You can do some grooming and removal of old foliage as necessary, but I wouldn't bother to cut it back until absolutely necessary - I find cut-back pampas far more unattractive than other, deciduous/herbaceous grasses.

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
The reddest Panicum virgatum
I would like to add one of those Panicum virgatums...
wannabeGardnr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™