Wilting in heat despite generous water

Central_Valley(9)August 19, 2013

I'm having this happen with both summer and winter squash. As soon as the day heats up the leaves start to wilt. On a particularly hot day they end up looking like goners. When the sun gets low they perk right up, but the quantity and quality of fruit suffer.

The amount of water in the soil seems to have nothing to do with this. I've seen plants wilt while being drip-irrigated over a period of hours. Nor is the soil poor at retaining water; I believe it has a moderately high clay content, and is heavily amended with compost.

Any suggestions on the cause and cure of this problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Just water them on schedule.
They all kind of wilt at mid day but then perk up.

Actually, when they get used to too much water behave more like that .. spoiled..hehe

This post was edited by seysonn on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 1:29

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 4:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sid23

In addition to what seysonn said I would check for Squash Vine Borers (SVB) If you are not familiar, the moth (really looks more like a weird wasp/bug that is black and dark red than a moth) flies around and lays eggs at the base of your vines. When the larvae hatch they bore into the vine leaving a hole and a dark orange "frass" that looks a bit like saw dust. The borer travels in the hollow center of the vine and chews it way through closed areas cutting off water circulation in the vine. There are many remedies for this none of which are easy. I am very diligent early in Spring to check the vine at and just below soil level for small brown seed like eggs and remove them. If they are already attacking your plant then as I said earlier there are many methods there also. I am sure there are threads here on them or check youtube. If you think this is your case post as such and I can give some advice also. Good luck and hopefully you have an awesome harvest!

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 11:45PM
More Discussions
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
New Blue Banana
Guatemala and other blue banana squash fruits are known...
acorneti
Can't decide what to plant, help!
Ok, so we are a squash loving household. As in grew...
beesneeds
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
Squash varities
Hi! I've never cared much for squash, mostly due to...
HollowOakFarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™