Help with ID? (pics)

donn_(7b-8a)July 20, 2005

This grass is the result of wintersowing seeds described as "Foxtail Type Grass." I sowed 8 cells (1.5" square) with 10 seeds each, and got nearly 100% germination. I planted them out in mid-May, when the seedlings were about 8" tall. They were planted in 2 clumps of 4 cells each.

The rule is 4' high. Leaves are 3/4" wide, medium green, with a slightly raised midrib. Inflorescence is about 6" long.

The closest thing I can find is Elymus canadensis, Canada Wild Rye or Nodding Rye, but it has more foliage than the pics I've found on the web.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hayefield(Zn 6)

To me, it looks like giant foxtail (Setaria faberi)--a weed. I'd suggest not letting it go to seed!

Nan

Bookmark   July 21, 2005 at 12:30PM
donn_(7b-8a)

Good eye, Nan! I Googled descriptions and pics of S. faberi, and I'm pretty certain you're correct. Too bad. It's an attractive and fast-growing grass. I'll keep an eye on the seed heads, and either collect all the seeds, or destroy them before they ripen. I'll have to think about whether or not to grow it again.

Thanks!

Bookmark   July 21, 2005 at 1:23PM
rivers1202(Z8a South Carolina)

I don't know the name but it grows wild along ditch banks and roadsides around here....I like the way it looks but I believe, as Nan said, that it's a weed.

Bookmark   July 22, 2005 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Plant identification
Could anyone identify what this grass name is
nancy0852
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™