New Here. Hello!

peppergrowman09August 12, 2009

Hi. I'm leslie. I'm a new pumpkin grower. i had decided to start a garden this year. So in january i started growing peppers. i was and am still interested. and now another group of veggies veggies had caught my interest when i was looking at a compost tea video on youtube. I decided to grow cucurbits as well. I got some seeds from a friend. She has a special type of pumpkin she grows is her variety called smiths huge round. i planted the seeds and got a few up. but On my part i killed 2 and now have to left. I was wondering if i could get some tips for growing pumpkins. and also i would like a few pumpkin seeds of different varieties. I have seeds from a bahamian store-bought variety. i could send a few to u guys. would to try some giant pumpkins and small ones too.

Thanx to all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

Squash and pumpkins are heavy feeders -- they like rich soil and plenty of room for their roots. But given reasonable soil, reasonable moisture, and reasonable elbow room they grow with little attention.

The biggest problem for most people is the Squash Vine Borer and the Squash Bug (see many threads here about dealing with those dire pests).

I absolutely love growing squash and pumpkins. I love to see those rampant vines that grow so fast its almost visible. :-)

What zone are you in and what sort of soil do you have?

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 10:27AM
peppergrowman09

I live in the bahamas actually. My soil is about a 7.5 . its great for my peppers so i think it should work for my pumpkins

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 11:44AM
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

They like a lot of organic material in their soil and need plenty of water in the early stages (if you're on sand they'll need plenty of water period).

Good luck with them.

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
Melon-gresskar 'Mandela'
Cucurbita maximelo "Nelson Mandela's Sun"...
acorneti
Sponsored Products
Calculite 4.5 Inch Square ELV LED Frame-In Kit
Lightology
Patton Prairie Bronze Finish Four Light Vanity Fixture with Frosted Glass
$89.99 | Bellacor
Cottage Grove Bath Bar by Kichler
$193.60 | Lumens
Serving Tray
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Conti 16" Wide Mini Swag Chandelier with Faux Suede Shade
Lamps Plus
Americh Contura II 6640 Tub (66" x 40" x 24")
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™