Pawpaws

jackson_atl(7)August 13, 2009

I've seen a few other messages about pawpaws, but I haven't yet found any information on where they fruit (not the plant) might be available in north Georgia (metro Atlanta?). Does anyone have any pointers on finding them? I know the season is just about to hit.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Your best bet would be a farm market that has local dealers attending. Normally pawpaw are not found for sale as they need to be eaten the day they are picked.

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 2:29PM
jackson_atl(7)

I've tried around -- the people who run the really big one (south of Atlanta) say that they have never heard of a pawpaw, so there's no dice there. There are many smaller ones, but I haven't had any luck at any of the places I've called. Thanks for the idea, though. Does anyone know someone who is growing them?

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 3:16PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I know several people growing the tree, none have had any fruit yet. I want to plant a few...but I'm not sure I'd get any fruit. I've heard it can take up to 10 years to get fruit and anyone I know has trees less than 10 years old.

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 12:38PM
ichoudhury(7B)

I thought a graft like the the one I planted will fruit in 2-3 years. Anyway, at least I hope :)

Mine were just planted this season, so I may get enough to share with others after few season anyway ;)

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 7:12AM
Stellabee(7, Atlanta)

If your talking about papaya (fruta bomba), it doesn't usually grow well here. You'd do better with a fig tree of some kind if you want fruit. I'm assuming you're talking about papaya though, so disregard if not...:-)
By the way, I used to be able to throw papaya seed on the ground when I live in Florida and not even bury it-trees would pop up and produce fruit like crazy!

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 12:50PM
crispy_z7(7B-8A)

To clear up name confusion, paw paw is a name used for two completely different fruit, it is used as a synonym for "papaya" which is a tropical fruit, and it is the common name of the asimina triloba, which is a temperate fruit growing in the South East USA.

I finally tasted some last year that a friend had found. They are extremely rare though, which is because of their short shelf life and lack of growers.

I'm growing my own trees from seeds.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 2:51PM
garedneck

Visit the festival in Ohio or just order them shipped in the fall when ripe! http://integrationacres.com/story.html

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 6:07PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

The really big farmers market in Forest Park is not going to be the place to find Paw Paw. That is a commercial level market. Neighborhood farmers markets are a better bet. Someone told me there are occasionally paw paw at the Marietta Square farmers market. However, since the fruit must be eaten immediately after picking, it's just not an fruit that is often for sale here.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Insured Tree Removal Cmp recommendations
Is there a good INSURED & reasonable tree removal...
vnginger
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™