Carnival and Big Moon

squinn(Z5)August 13, 2010

I have two questions

1) Big Moon Pumpkins - I have excellent vine growth but am concerned I perhaps got the wrong seeds. The small fruits, golf ball size, area lemon to butter yellow, is that right?

2) Carnival squash - I have excellent vines and fruit set with beuatiful speckled coloring. I am getting mixed information on harvesting. I already have fruit that are softball size, do I need to wait to fall to pick these or will the sugar set when the plants get to size?

Thanks as always for the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcstoehr

Wait until the leaves die, the vines shrivel and the stems dry. When harvesting, don't cut the stems. Instead cut the vines, leaving just a tiny bit of vine attached to the stem. If frost is coming, harvest.

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 3:54PM
tcstoehr

I was referring to the Carnival squash. I figure pumpkins are mostly seasonal decoration. I harvest them when they're orange and I need a jack-o-lantern.

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 3:57PM
farmerdilla

tcstoehr's advice holds for all winter squash. Carnival is an acorn type. For good quality they must be mature. If you don't want to wait until the vines die back, at least wait until the skin is hard and dry as well as the stems.
Big Moon is a show variety, much larger than the average Halloween pumpkin. They have been known to reach 200 lbs. If they are staying golf ball size after the bloom fades, you have pollination problems. They size up fast.

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 6:41PM
squinn(Z5)

Hello,

I guess to clarify, should the Big Moon pumpkins be yellow as immature fruit? I've always seen pumpkins be green as small fruit. I am concerned I got the wrong seeds.

Thanks for the carnival squash info!

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 10:20AM
farmerdilla

That I don't know. I don't grow Big Moon and while there are lots of pictures of the mature pumpkin, I have not found a photo of an immature one. At any rate you will have to go with what you have at this point.

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™