Healing a wound on pumpkin.

Sid23August 29, 2012

So as I have been posting, I am harvesting quite early due to many factors including early ripening, various bug infestations etc. I have a few pumpkins with quite small "bites" taken from them (1/4 inch or so) I have had this before and they skin over and heal with a bit of a scar. Does any one know if I harvest with the wound will it heal over during curing or should I leave them on the vine to scar over. I am afraid for them to be out in the patch much longer for something, presumably a mouse, or whatever to continue to munch on them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

On the vine they will heal, off the vine it is sometimes yes, sometimes no. I'd leave it on the vine unless you don't mind risking a few that may not heal.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 12:32PM
Sid23

Thanks Trev. That is what I thought. I have a mouse or chipmunk something out there. They seem to be more interested in the squash than the pumpkins but if they keep taking a bite out of every one I will have to risk harvesting them. Most of them are nearly all orange just a week or so left and they will be there!

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 2:11PM
weirdtrev

I too am in the same situation with my jack-be-little pumpkins. Just a bite or two then they move on to the next one.

I have a ton of pumpkins so what I did was cut the bitten ones from the plant, so that the pumpkin doesn't drain energy from the plant. But I left them in the patch, because if I were to remove them and the critter gets hungry again it would only have unbitten pumpkins to munch on. This way there is a chance it will try to eat an already ruined one instead of spoiling more.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
? for birdhouse gourd expert growers
Just for giggles I bought a $2 pack of birdhouse gourd...
donnywayne1
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™