Maiden grass dying?

tariah83July 11, 2013

I bought 20 maiden grasses about 9 months ago and put them in mulched plant beds. They made it through fall and winter fine, grew like crazy in spring, but now about a quarter of the grasses look like they are dying. They are all in random places around the home and they aren't dying all in one location... more like 1 is dying on each side of the house. We've had a ridiculous amount of rain this summer and wondering if they are dying from overwatering? The only other thing I can think of is I hired someone to put down some weed killer (Snapshot) and maybe there was some overspray? Although I have rose bushes right next to the dying grasses that are doing beautifully so I am doubtful of the weedkiller being the cause. I posted one picture on this forum and posted a link to more pictures of all the other grasses on my property (a few dying and one showing a healthy one).

Here is a link that might be useful: More photos

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

It's impossible to tell what is killing your Miscanthus from your photos, but something is.

Google "Miscanthus Blight," and see if the close-up photos resemble a close look at your most infected plants.

If it does, get rid of the infected plants, completely. Replace the soil they were in with new soil, and start over.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 11:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tariah83

I took one plant that was pretty much dead to a local nursery and they said the same thing: Miscanthus blight. So I have since dug them all up (along with my day lilies that were looking awful as well.. although I don't know if flowers are susceptible to the blight) and plan on spraying heavily with fungicide before attempting to replant new grasses. I found out that I likely got it from the new mulch I had laid down this last month being infested with it... *grumble*. Anyhow, thanks for the advice.

This post was edited by tariah83 on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 17:05

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
What grass is this??
Hi all, does anybody recognize this grass (the big...
linda21h
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Pennisetum Advena/Setaceum Rubrum
Hi. I recently fell in love with the above grasses...
kaydarling
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
Sponsored Products
Casablanca Perma Lock 48 in. Extension Downrod Maiden Bronze 99211
$30.00 | Home Depot
Maiden Oil Brushed Bronze Ceiling Fan
$398.00 | Bellacor
Hopi Maidens Pony Figurine
$9.99 | zulily
Safavieh Maiden Gold Tufted Storage Bench
Overstock.com
Cecilia Fountain
$1,749.90 | Horchow