Blepharneuron trichelepis or Schizachyrium scoparium 'Blaze'

coloradobirdJuly 7, 2006

Does anybody know anything about this grass? I can't find anything about it on the Internet, except for the place I originally found it (High Country Gardens--will put the link below). It looks attractive in the photo and seems like a nice size. I thought I might add a smaller grass as a transition between the larger grasses (Pancium virgatum 'Heavy Metal' and Calamagrostis 'Overdam') and the perennial flowers and little shrubs.

I am also considering Schizachyrium scoparium 'Blaze.'

Either would be the right size. Or, if there is something better, feel free to make recommendations.

Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blepharneuron trichelepis (Mountain Mist Grass)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Unless my sense of scale is way off, you wouldn't see much of a shorter grass behind that Juniper.

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 7:04PM
coloradobird

No, Donn, you're right--it would only be visible when one walked out into the yard. Therefore, not as important as the tall grasses, but I wanted to fill that space.

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 1:48PM
achnatherum(z4or3 Ontario)

Would you be able to grow either of these grasses on the 'lean' side in this position? I see that is what they recommend for the Blepharneuron ~ which looks quite interesting.
Schizachyrium scoparium is one of my all season favorites but, only since I planted it where it gets the poor conditions it desires. Before that it always flopped just when it came into bloom.

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 10:11PM
coloradobird

Achnatherum, the soil is neither lean nor very rich. I guess if I didn't put any compost in when planting, it would be leaner than otherwise. It is not all that well-drained, but not terrrible, either. Sounds like I have an iffy situation for these, but they might be worth a try. We naturally have clay here, but this is a raised bed, so it's a little better.

Thanks ofr your reply.

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
Northwinds planting in Central TX
I am considering planting a dozen or so Northwinds...
jscaldwell
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™