Muhlenbergia capillaris in Zone 5 USDA

barb_from_london(6a)July 20, 2007

I was curious if anyone in Zone 5 USDA has had any success overwintering Gulf Muhly grass (Muhlenbergia capillaris). I just saw some photos of it in the Park Seed Catalogue (a plant, unfortunately, so it would be prohibitively expensive to bring their cultivar into Canada) and it is GORGEOUS. And if anyone happened to have any seed of it and was willing to share...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
achnatherum(z4or3 Ontario)

Barb,
I agree - it is an absolutely gorgeous grass.

I 'have' tried it in zone 5 - south of you near St. Thomas. I grew it in a pot & overwintered it in our garage which we keep around +1C..... total failure.

Sorry I didn't keep any seed.
a.

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 5:19PM
barb_from_london(6a)

Thanks for the feedback - now I can assure myself it's not going to be the centerpiece of my renovated front bed... Just curious though as to where you tracked down the plant and/or seeds. I'm wondering if it grows quickly enough to be useable as an annual grass here or not. (Hope never dies!)

Bookmark   July 31, 2007 at 4:48PM
achnatherum(z4or3 Ontario)

Barb,
Sorry, I have been gone from the forum for a while - trying to get our house & garden ready to sell...

Shhh.... I got my seed from a seed swap with a gardener in the US. And, no it was not quick for me from seed but then I only had two seedlings to work with. Might be worth giving a try BUT you could get an 'almost' similar effect with an Eragrostis.
a.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™