Just a Question

aman17(6)July 26, 2008

If I cut my grass back in the fall would it make a difference when it comes back in the following spring?Thanks for any info you can give me

arnie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dereks(6 Utah)

I would wait until spring. I have a Ravenna grass that I have had for years. Last fall I cut it back and it is not doing well at all this year. I guess there could be other reasons why it's not doing so well this year but from now on I'm cutting back only in spring.

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 12:41AM
grass_guy

Don't forget how much winter interest grasses can offer!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 9:21AM
webkat5(Z6a MO)

Thanks for posting that pic Grass_guy...there has been some differences of opinion about whether it is ok to cut ornamental grasses in the fall. Most of those who feel it doesn't matter are in zones which receive very little, if any, snow.

In areas which receive quite a bit of snowfall/ice cover in the winter, it is fairly important to leave them standing.

The picture provided above shows the snow lying on top of the stems, while not covering the root base of the plants. Ornamental grass roots need to be kept on the dry side during the winter months and if they are sheared, the snow can settle down and keep the area moist for quite some time. This can easily lead to root rot and destroy some, if not all, of the clump.

I never cut mine back until spring and they all thrive.

Hope that provides a bit of insight.

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
my pink pampas grasses
hello again.........I posted my disaster in the spring...
casagrande
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
Northwinds planting in Central TX
I am considering planting a dozen or so Northwinds...
jscaldwell
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Fall Planting?
I was told that its much better to plant OG in the...
juniemarie46
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™