Blue Banana Winter Squash

tcstoehrAugust 18, 2009

Are the following squashes all the same variety?

Blue Banana

Guatemalan Blue

Guatemalan Blue Banana

I can find Guatemalan Blue and Guatemalan Blue Banana for sale, and I'm assuming they're the same.

But I can't find Blue Banana for sale anywhere, and I'm wondering if it's just another name for Guatemalan Blue Banana.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Yes. Years ago it was offered simply as the Blue Banana. Today most "heirloom" vendors will list as Guatemalan Blue Banana. Never enjoyed great popularity.

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 4:26PM
festus47(5)

Amy Goldman lists Blue Banana in her book on squash and has it listed in the 2009 Seed Savers Yearbook as Blue Banana a.k.a.Mexican Banana. I plan on trying it next year.

There is also a Guatamala Blue listed and I have that growing this year with seed from Sand Hill Preservation.

I also have Sibley growing which is I guess a banana type with tapered ends and is widely available.

I am very fortunate this year and have had very little disease in the maximas. I lost 1 Sibley and 1 Amish Pie Pumpkin and 1 Potimarron out of about 20 plants. I have not lost 1 moschata ot of about 30.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 10:47PM
tcstoehr

Hmmm... yes. Amy Goldman's book suggests that "Blue Banana" and "Guatemalan Blue" are different varieties. Farmerdilla seems knowledgeable about squash varieties and he says they're the same. One way to find out.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™