Pumpkins growing over desert landcaping

captaininsanoAugust 26, 2013

I live in Peoria AZ. and needless to say it is very hot here, I am trying to grow a small pumpkin patch, my entire backyard is landscaping rocks, I cleared a 15' x 15' area and planted a few varieties of pumpkin all are doing well but the vines closest to the edge are starting to grow over into the rocks, I assumed they all would eventually grow out and over the rocks, but I did not take into account the damage that the heat would do to the vines, I know that wilting during the day is common and they bounce back in the evening but the ones growing out over the rocks are being cooked, I can not clear the entire area of rocks so what is the best way to fight this I thought possibly landscaping fabric or burlap, any ideas? I did not think it would be an issue because I have watermelon that does just fine growing out over the rocks, but they are a desert plant, so I guess I didn't think it through entirely

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

You can just lift the end part of the vines and direct the tip back toward the inside.. OR you can HEAVILY mulch the rocky area with hey, straw etc so the rocks wont burn the vines.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 3:51PM
More Discussions
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
Can't decide what to plant, help!
Ok, so we are a squash loving household. As in grew...
beesneeds
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™