Planning a vacation

treepalm(z8WA)February 10, 2006

Hello everyone,

I was hoping that someone could tell me when the trillium grandiflorum is blooming in Michigan. We are planning a trip to visit relatives and they had no idea what I was talking about. I've seen pictures and really want to see the real thing. Anything else that we should make sure to see from a gardening/wildflower standpoint?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kec01

If you are talking about trillium in west Mich, the first weekend of May is peak. See this...
May 4 & 5

TRILLIUM FESTIVAL PJ Hoffmaster State Park. A celebration in recognition of spring. The event showcases the natural communities & unique species of the sand dunes. Sponsored by the DNR, Gillette Natural History Association and Radium. Saturday 10:00 am-4:30 pm and Sunday 12:30 pm-4:30 pm. This event is wheelchair accessible. The only cost is the Motor Vehicle Pass for the state park. For more information contact (231) 798-3573.

Bookmark   February 12, 2006 at 6:45PM
treepalm(z8WA)

Thanks! That is just what I needed.

Bookmark   February 12, 2006 at 10:17PM
goodhors(z5 MI)

Not sure what area on the western side of Michigan this Festival is, but you should hit Meijer Gardens while over there. We finally got to visit last fall, really had a great time. I would allow at least half a day, to view things, maybe longer. Fall had frozen some things, so perhaps warmer Spring would have more to see. There is the inside garden, a couple of movies to see, lots of artwork. Then there are extensive outside garden areas, cover a lot of variety and quite entertaining. Bring good walking shoes!
Certainly worth a visit and the time to look around. Quite a bit of modern art planted around the grounds. Some very cool like the horses, others just neat to look at like the wind sculpture and the eggs by the pond. Some sculpture I couldn't begin to understand!

Here is the site:

http://www.meijergardens.org/

Have a great time.

Bookmark   February 13, 2006 at 9:43PM
kec01

PJ Hofmaster is near Muskegon. Alss, if you just drive through the Highland Park area of Grand Haven, you'll see lots of trilliums growing wild, too. It's beautiful when they are blooming.

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 7:08AM
More Discussions
Prune back and move???
Within the next month we will be tearing out our old...
pattio2
Alert - SVB season is now underway
In southwest Michigan - first eggs sighted and dealt...
lilyd74
Michigan in Spring!
At the time of writing this we are under a cover of...
GardenKiwi
Anyone have a Weeping Willow Tree?
It seems like these are hard to find. I am in zone...
happytomato2008
blushing bride
Does anyone have any suggestions why my blushing brides...
hoovie
Sponsored Products
Travelers Compass Giclee Brushed Nickel Garth Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Swag Paper Stitched Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - STZIGZAGYELLOW4
$50.99 | Hayneedle
Moooi | Brave New World Lamp
YLighting
Calphalon 1779207 4 Slice Toaster - 1779207
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Calphalon Simply Enamel Nonstick 8 in. Covered Omelette Pan - 1756544
$24.99 | Hayneedle