Seed Starting Question - Z6B

cmpman1974(Zone 6 MI)February 22, 2006

I live in Michigan and am interested when others are sowing their leaf lettuce, cole crops, and other cold weather veggies. My last frost date is 5/10 or 5/15. I read on another forum many are already planting broccoli / cauliflower. I thought these veggies should be transplanted 2 weeks before last frost. Lettuce 3-4 weeks before last frost.

I think all of these seeds should be sowed 6-8 weeks before last frost. Am I way off here? Please advise.

Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhythm

Chris,
I live in the inner ring of subs of Detroit. I have low laying clay loam that doesn't dry out well, so I feel good if everything gets planted by Memorial Day. So, as you can imagine, I don't worry much about LFD (my LFD=May 12).

While rummaging through a used book store this winter, I found a book that may be of intrest to you. The Organic Gardener's Home Reference by Tanya Denckla, published by Storey Communications. It discusses the information you seek in detail. Plus a lot of other subjects. I would try my local library to check it out. If you live in SE MI and your library is a member of The Library Network, there are seven member libraries that have the book.

And no, your thinking appears to be right on track.
HTH
RM

Bookmark   February 24, 2006 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Osmanthus fragrans aurantiacus
Has anyone grown Osmanthus fragrans in Niagara? Can...
hikerwanda
So anyone growing Virginia Bluebells?
Or more properly known as Mertensia virginica? If so,...
paul_
Privet and Long Hedges in Zone 5?
I am looking to grow about 125 feet of hedge along...
simonbloomfield5a
Question about cow manure
I'm wondering what is best about putting actual cow...
tewitt1949
Alert - SVB season is now underway
In southwest Michigan - first eggs sighted and dealt...
lilyd74
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™