Heavy snow my cedars are scraping ground

pkguy(5/6)February 9, 2008

With all that heavy wet snow the last few days I just this morning noticed that nearly all of my 100 cedars lining the backyard fences on 3 sides are literally bent over so much they're almost flattened to the ground. I believe they're black cedars and each one is between 7-9 ft tall.

Are they doomed or will they spring back up once the heavy snow has melted. A couple in the front are bent over at the halfway point and I shook the snow off but they didn't spring back

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whynotmi(5/6)

generally they will recover when the snows melt. right now they wood is stiff with frozen sap so it's not flexing like it does in warm weather. it's fine to carefully remove the snow now, but don't force them upright since the wood is stiff and you may damage or break the branches. when spring arrives you may have to retrain some of the cedars by using ties and posts for support. next fall you might want to consider wrapping them to protect them from snow damage. good luck!

Bookmark   February 9, 2008 at 9:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pkguy(5/6)

Thanks for the reply...I just noticed our neighbors across the road, about 35 ft tall and it's tip is now touching the ground... whew.

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Something eating my marigolds down to the stems
I have bought the standard orange marigolds from the...
knottyceltic
Question about cow manure
I'm wondering what is best about putting actual cow...
tewitt1949
So anyone growing Virginia Bluebells?
Or more properly known as Mertensia virginica? If so,...
paul_
Alert - SVB season is now underway
In southwest Michigan - first eggs sighted and dealt...
lilyd74
Calandrinia
Anyone in Michigan ever grow this? I am wondering if...
lilyd74
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™