Grasses for container growing in Z7?

breinhart(z7 Central VA)August 22, 2007

We grow Purple Fountain grass in containers around the pool and deck but it doesn't survive the winters here and we would like to find a perennial that will survive here in containers. We like the size and coloring of the fountain grass, any suggestions? Would like to plant in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

I can't think of any hardy grasses which approach the appearance of Purple Fountain Grass. There are red Panicums and bronze Carexes, but they are nothing like PFG.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 9:39AM
sopchoppy(8b)

If you like the size and color of purple fountain, try Miscanthus sinensis purparescens

Panicums aren't very showy until fall, and in my opinion don't make the best looking container plants.

Any of the Carex, specifically the bronzes and amazon mist, but they have different growth forms and don't get as big as fountains.

If I were you I would look at 'Red Baron' Japanese Blood Grass or Cogongrass (Imperata cylindrica). It is hardy in your zone and is beautiful in containers.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 2:11PM
Larry Kahn(7b)

I moved my Blue Lyme grass (Elymus arenarius) to a large container on the deck because it was too invasive in the garden. The steel blue color is a nice contrast to the other plants. It seems to do fine, and I just give it a complete haircut every spring. For some reason I hardly ever get plumes, though.

Larry

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
Purple Majesty Millet from seed?
I grew Purple Magesty Millet for the first time this...
treemedic
Experience with Panicum 'Northwind?'
Hello, I have a spot in my front foundation bed I am...
petal_88
my pink pampas grasses
hello again.........I posted my disaster in the spring...
casagrande
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™