I think I figured it out! - Galeux d'Eysines

cowabunga1(Zone 6)August 23, 2006

If anyone remembers, I made a post almost a year ago asking about the variety of squash/gourd that I found at the store. That post is found here.

Someone had suggested that the variety was "Galeux d'Eysines" (still not sure how that is pronounced). Anyway, I collected a few seeds from it and the plant is doing wonderfully. It now has about 5 fruits on it. The squash are flesh colored - starting out smooth, but then I'm starting to see discolored spots that are then turning into warts! The plant is getting plenty of water so I know the warts have to be in the genes of the plant. Here is what a younger fruit looks like

Here is what a slightly older fruit looks like

This has been a fun experiment for me this year. Does anyone grow these in their garden? Well, I just wanted to show off some pictures. Maybe someone can confirm that this is indeed Galeux d'Eysines.

Thanks!

~Sam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

yeah... well, I can't verify EXACTLY that it's Galeux d'Eysines, but it sure looks like mine! And that's the name on the package of seeds I planted.

Bookmark   August 29, 2006 at 10:27PM
weirdtrev

I remember that thread :) I am glad they did so well for you.

Bookmark   August 30, 2006 at 11:57PM
lelia_gardener

I planted 7 Galeux d'Eysines seeds last May & now have at least 25 huge beautiful squash on the vine. Prolific & still going strong in the Rockies mid-Sept. A wondrous delicate flavored, French of course, pumpkiny squash. I have loads of seeds.

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 1:44PM
More Discussions
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™