Not enough sun?

SarabethersAugust 22, 2012

Hello everyone,

I have a few OGs in my front garden. It faces West, and gets 5ish hours of evening sun per day. Currently I'm growing Pennesetum Hameln and Karl Foerster grass.

I will be moving the Karl(s), because the spot where I have it doesn't receive enough sun (only 1 seedhead...yikes). The Hameln were planted in the spring, and they are nice and spiky now, but no seedheads. Is 5 hours enough for Hameln?

Do you know of any other grasses that would work here? Maybe a Korean Feather Grass, or deschampsia? I have several blue fescue I planted last fall that all bloomed well in their spots. I just figure I need something a bit more shade tolerant because the seedheads are so sparse on the Karls and haven't even shown up on Hameln...

Thanks in advance..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Both of the grasses you mention should do fine in 5 hours of sun. 'Karl' is especially shade tolerant, but 'Hameln' should also work. I don't know what zone you're in, but my 'Hameln' are just starting to bloom now.

Check the list of shade tolerant grasses at bluestem.ca, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade Tolerant Grasses

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 3:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sarabethers

Karl was in a place where he received less than 5 hours...just under the overhang of the house. The one seedhead was at the edge of the plant where it received just a little more sun. I moved him today, where he's out from the shaded spot and will definitely receive 5 or so hours from here on out. Hopefully next year he'll have a ton of seedheads.
Bought a Korean Feather grass for the spot where Karl was, hopefully it will like it there more.

My Hameln haven't bloomed yet. I'm zone 6a, so maybe it's just going to take a bit longer. I just planted them this spring, though, so maybe I will have to wait until next year...

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™