Pumpkin dying

crewstAugust 5, 2009

My pumpkin patch is being destroyed, similarly to my cucumbers. The leaves turned yellow and wilted, and now very few green leaves remain, and my pumpkins seem to be doomed.

I have seem cucumber beetles on my cucumbers and watermelons, and my assumption is that they're eating the roots. Is there anything I can do about the larve eating the roots in order to hopefully save my remaining plants? Hopefully I can get the pumpkin to put down more roots by covering the vine in more places.

I am going to try clove oil with red dye #28 to try to kill off the adults, but that won't help what remains of my roots now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
atlanticgiantpumpkin

if you see any bugs spray them some bug spray of your choice, NEEM , and try this.

1 TBSP of baking soda mixed with 1 part milk and 3 parts water to kill them and prevent fungus growth. It should make 1 gallon

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 6:11PM
quillsd

Are you seeing any white spots on your leaves?

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 10:00PM
crewst

The baking soda, milk, water mixture just gets poured into the ground, or this is a spray for the leaves?

I'm trying to keep everything in the edible garden pesticide-free.

I don't remember if there were white spots. I will check and reply again.

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 10:33PM
atlanticgiantpumpkin

leafs mostly and some around the base, thats the best bet if you want to keep it truely organic?

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 8:13PM
crewst

the only white spots seem to be the dead edges around the holes that the critters ate.

I'll try the baking soda, milk, water today, and I'll spray on seaweed fert later on to help the plant recover, I hope.

thank you for your help

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 7:43PM
crewst

I applied the mix, but the larvae appear to be working on the roots of the last living section of vine, to which is attached my only Giant Atlantic pumpkin.

Anyone have ideas of what I can try? I'd prefer organic, however I would consider other options. I have the red dye and clove oil to kill adults, but it's too late for that to prevent the larvae.

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 9:39AM
crewst

I have my cuke beetles under control I think, but squash bugs have finished off my pumpkins. I've killed many with soapy water spray. Next year I'll have to be ready for all the bad bugs so they can't wipe my pumpkins out.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
Squash varities
Hi! I've never cared much for squash, mostly due to...
HollowOakFarm
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
? for birdhouse gourd expert growers
Just for giggles I bought a $2 pack of birdhouse gourd...
donnywayne1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™