no female flowers

napapen(ca 15)August 9, 2012

My pumpkin is growing like a weed and is covered with male flowers. The squash bees have moved in and spend alot of time in the male flowers. Is there someway to encourage the girls so I can set a couple of pumpkins?

My gourds are doing well and I have one big one already and a load of little ones. I probably won't keep them all but I like seeing the babies.

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

Nothing you can do, just be patient. They'll come when the plant is mature enough.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 8:44AM
donnaroe

I have read that if the ground is not fertile enough, the plants will not produce female flowers. I have the same problem with my butternut-I have been feeding it and it is getting a few female flowers.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 9:43PM
daninthedirt(Cent TX; HZ10, Sunset z30, USDA z8a)

Here's a question I posted in Texas Gardening, but haven't gotten an answer to.

I had considerable success with butternut squash this year. Got a half-dozen big fruit out of just two or three plants. Due to their natural resistance, with a little help from an occasional dusting with Carbaryl, I managed to keep the vine borers at bay. But in the last few weeks, hit with 103+ temps, the plants just faded, even though they were well mulched, I watered them about every other day, and even gave them some shade. The symptoms looked like borers, but I didn't see any burrows.

What's the strategy for seeing squash, and cukes for that matter, through the hottest times of the year in the hottest parts of the country? I've seen people suggest watering every day, which seems a bit excessive.

In Central Texas we get several summer weeks over 100F, and several months with highs in the 90s and lows in the mid 70s. Y'all up north need not respond.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 11:57PM
daninthedirt(Cent TX; HZ10, Sunset z30, USDA z8a)

Whoops. I meant to start a new thread. Sorry about that ...

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 11:58PM
boeremeisie

Penny, I have no female flowers on my pumpkins, either. Plants are not growing as fast as last year, I think the weather has just been too hot. Hopefully all will change when it cools down this week-end.
Sandi

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 10:10PM
ccabal(7)

I think heat is a factor. We were in the 100+ in early august, and I did not get any female flowers to set. The few that appeared would just shrivel and die before they even opened up. But as soon as the temps got into the upper 80s and lower 90s that past 2 weeks, the female flowers have come more, and I now have some small pumpkins and some nice acorn squash growing.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
Courge-Fri
Courge-fritter in palm butter are far more healthy...
acorneti
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Need some answers to Butternut Squash Questions
Hey! So this is my first time growing B. squash, and...
jac15
Sponsored Products
Splitting Molecules Vase
$21.99 | Dot & Bo
Large Flower Market Hostess Tray
$198.00 | Horchow
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LA Rugs Supreme Flower Burst Multi
$79.97 | Home Depot
Missoni Home | Neda Pillow 16x16
YLiving.com
Secret Garden Tropic Drum Shade Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus