Lasagna Gardening Advice Needed (materials?)

jesterpoetMarch 1, 2010

I've been reading the book Lasagna Gardening in hopes of starting a vegetable garden in the spring. My problem, though, is that this season I don't really have a lot of great materials for the layers. Newspaper & Cardboard are easy, and I can get peat, but I'm not sure what else to use, because I don't have much of anything collected from last season (as I had no idea I'd be doing this). That said, I'd still like to get started so I can have some veggies this year.

Can anyone make recommendations on what I might be able to get my hands on and use for layers, while still keeping this relatively affordable? I can't be the only person who has faced this problem. I'm a gardening AMATEUR, so talking to me like I'm dumb is a-OK! :)

Thanks!

Todd

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cody_mi(z5 MI)

got any livestock farms near you? rake up some leaves and use those. use grass clippings after your first lawn mowing. it's never to late to start saving compost.

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 9:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_(z5 MI)

"Newspaper & Cardboard are easy"

Then you have all you really need to get started. While, yes, it would be best to have greens and such already on hand, it is not necessary.

Cody's suggestions are good ones and are what I'd recommend.

Happy growing!

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
Michigan in Spring!
At the time of writing this we are under a cover of...
GardenKiwi
Overwintering rosemary
Any suggestions for overwintering rosemary in Zone...
hikerwanda
kirkland apple
Just planted our first Kirkland apple tree. Anyone...
wannab_gardener
Children's Educational Kickstarter Fundraiser
Hello Everyone- My mother is fundraising for a children's...
Desirae
Blueberries - To Stay in Decorative Pot Or Planted in Garden?
I was given a pot with three varieties of blueberry...
dllfb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™