Severe drought & flopped N. Sea Oats

withalilhelpAugust 21, 2007

My area has been in a drought since early to mid spring and a severe drought for about the last two months.I hate it and had hopes for some real "leaping" from some plants that were ready. We have a half-dozen different kinds of mature grasses in which all but one I have kept beautiful, despite. We have rows of N. Sea Oats down the east and west side of a fenced-in part of lawn, spaced about 6ft. We have had two short rains over the stretch that have seemed to permanently flopped (for this season) the usually strong erect form.I would like to ask for ideas on some first-aid tactics. East gets early to late morn. sun, west is mostly shaded and still okay except two that get afternoon sun and they are the most wind protected of all. I love my grasses and this just adds to the worst year for weather this middle-aged man has seen.I hope fall is better. Thanks ahead for any help.Z5

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

There isn't much first aid, other than tying them up after the fact. According to Traci DiSabato-Aust, author of The Well Tended Perennial Garden, this resembles a lynching.

Consider growing them through supports which are in place before they start growing. Next year, cut some properly sized and shaped pieces of remesh, and anchor it over the plants with rebar. They'll grow up through the remesh, and hide it with their foliage, while obtaining the needed support.

I have Chasmanthium growing in every sun condition from full sun to mostly shade, and all of them need support except those under thick-canopied trees. They seem to benefit from the protection from soaking rains.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 9:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
withalilhelp

Great advice donn. I will prepare for next year. Also your personal settings fit perfect. It is nice to know why on these things, rather than guessing. Next year they're going to look great. Thank you.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 1:00AM
More Discussions
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
The reddest Panicum virgatum
I would like to add one of those Panicum virgatums...
wannabegardnr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™