Pumpkin Questions?

bobdole10(5)August 1, 2007

1. how big should the pumpkin be? It has taken over my entire garden which is 8X8 space.

2. I see little green dots on the vines but no fruit yet and have been in since may30th.

3. Growing on my fence and upwards can pumpkins hold fruit on the vines that way?

Any help would be great 1st time at this

Thanks Jeremy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluensilver

the pumpkin's size depends on what type of seed you planted. pollination may be a problem, i don't know, but it seems like you should have a few pumpkins by now. i have tons, seeds planted in mid-June. pumpkin vines are pretty strong, but it would depend on the weight of the pumpking, i think, if the vine will hold it. If not, you can always use panty hose or something like that.

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 3:18PM
macmex

It does sound like you may have a pollination problem. Take a look at the thread under Vegetable gardening, on hand pollination. You don't have to protect female blossoms from cross pollination, if all you want is pumpkins. But it might help to do some hand pollinations. Below is the link.

Also, unless the variety is a small pie pumpkin, you will want to support any fruit that set on the fence. I've heard of using old nylons to make a sling for the pumpkins. Otherwise they can break off the vine as they get heavy.

Here is a link that might be useful: hand pollination of squash/pumpkins

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 12:41PM
gardeningmommy

I'm growing pumpkins for the first time this year, and I'm doing it up a trellis that I made of electircal conduit. It's saved tons of space, though it still seems to be taking over the world! I, too, had heard of slinging the pumpkins with nylons, so I tried it. Don't bother!! It totally doesn't work. It worked for 1-2 days, but then the pumpkin outgrew the sling, and it just slipped off. Instead, I built little I-beams for my pumpkins to sit on. That seems to have worked fabulously! Do you know how to add a picture to the post? I'm new here . . . I can post pics of the trellis/I beams if someone call tell me how!

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 11:12AM
gardeningmommy

Let's see if adding this picture works . . .

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 12:44PM
gardeningmommy

Got it! Phew. OK, here's some pictures I took a few weeks ago of the pumpkin on the trellis, and of the I-beams that I built for support from scrap lumber.

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 1:09PM
bobdole10(5)

Very nice picture but still nothing on my end. Lots of flowers and vines but no pumpkins hope something soon or have to try again next year.

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 3:00PM
beebonnet(8)

Gardeningmommy---I just love, love, Love your pictures. Your pumpkin support is awesome. Like others here, I'm still waiting for mine to set fruit. Now---about your pictures. How do you do that? I have tried, and actually got some on the posts, but they were teeny tiny. I want nice big ones like yours. I assume you used Photobucket and that's what I did, too, but just got extremely small pics. Hope you see this and let me know. Thanks
Beebonnet

Bookmark   August 18, 2007 at 11:41AM
jackinthecountry

One year I had a pumpkin vine that climbed halfway up a wild cherry tree. The fruits held on fine till I plucked them. Course I didn't wait till they were dead ripe.

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
Can't decide what to plant, help!
Ok, so we are a squash loving household. As in grew...
beesneeds
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™