'Karley Rose' question

krikitAugust 5, 2012

I have Karley Rose OG and love the look - but it seems to flop with the slightest wind or rain. Is that typical, or due to the humidity here in East TN? I'd like to have an OG that doesn't get too large, doesn't have to be divided, and is non-invasive. Any recommendations? This would be a full sun location, in Z7 East TN and I am open to different 'looks' just don't want anything huge - I like the size of Karley Rose but don't like the flopping of the foliage.

Thanks!

Frances

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

My KR's do that as well, but it seems to be lessening as they get older. It has to do with the thinness of the bloom stalk in relation to the size of the bloom. My younger ones do it when there's a good rain to soak the blooms, or a good wind to blow them down. During quiet and dry weather, no problems..they perk right up.

"I'd like to have an OG that doesn't get too large, doesn't have to be divided, and is non-invasive."

This is tough. A very slow grower like Miscanthus sinensis 'Gold Bar' might work, but even though it takes years to reach 4', it will still have to be divided eventually.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 6:03PM
pink_petals(z6 PA)

Frances, perhaps you would like pennisetum alopecuroides "moudry'. The foliage is only about20-24" high, and it gets really neat blackish fuzzy plumes, which is definitely 'different'!

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:36PM
donn_(7b-8a)

'Moudry' self-seeds furiously in my climate. It even sprouts itself in the lawn. I got rid of my established plants, but I'm still pulling up volunteers.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 6:37PM
spiderjoe

This one needs good drainage , does not like wet feet.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:31AM
More Discussions
Plant identification
Could anyone identify what this grass name is
nancy0852
my pink pampas grasses
hello again.........I posted my disaster in the spring...
casagrande
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
Carex Comans 'Frosty Curls' turning brown yellow
I have searched a bit on this subject and have not...
ersh
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™