where's the pumpkin ??

battymomAugust 11, 2007

Why don't i have any fruit growing ?? My vine is ready to crawl in the window beautiful vines and flowers , But why is it not producing 1 pumpkin ?? I've read where maybe they are all males ... is there any thing i can do to get at least 1 pumpkin ...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

Howdy!

Below is a link to a thread about hand pollination of squash. Now, I don't know, from your post, whether your pumpkin has been producing female flowers or only males. Squash and pumpkins produce both. However, oftentimes, for weeks they will produce only one or the other. If this is the case, you probably need only wait and it will come around and set fruit when it's ready. The reason I'm giving you the link is that in that thread there are photos of male and female flowers, so you can recognize what your plant is producing.

If by chance your vine is already producing both male and female flowers, but it still isn't setting fruit, then you probably have a lack of bees for pollination. If that's the case you can use the information from the link to do some pollination yourself.

If you are only interested in getting fruit, not necessarily pure seed, then you need not tape any flowers shut. All you'd have to do is apply pollen from male flowers to the female flowers and let them be. You'll get fruit.

Hope this helps! Squash and pumpkins regularly cause gardeners concern when they don't set fruit. Normally, it's only a matter of time.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: hand pollination of squash/pumpkins

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 7:53AM
More Discussions
Can't decide what to plant, help!
Ok, so we are a squash loving household. As in grew...
beesneeds
Need some answers to Butternut Squash Questions
Hey! So this is my first time growing B. squash, and...
jac15
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™